Monday, November 13, 2006

TIP: Stop limiting yourself by what you believe.

Ever found yourself saying "I can't do that", and then finding you didn't succeed? More insidious are some other limiting beliefs, such as: "I believe I'm selfish, "I need do things because I need approval", "I'm not not interesting", "I'm shy", " being hard on myself is good for me"...
We all have some limiting beliefs, some people managed theirs out of their lives, others realise they have them and are limited by them, whilst some people don't even realise they have them (and are limited by them).


The subconscious will automatically trigger a limiting belief when it thinks you need protecting! The result, you don't do as well as you hoped, the belief becomes stronger and the subconcious "protects" you even more the next time!!

Limiting beliefs can be changed, first start to recognise them for what they are; list them, along with where you got them from, who gave them to you, how much they cost you and how much better your life would be if you changed that belief. This is the first step to reprogramming the subconscious so you can have useful beliefs to replace them.

Then re-frame your limiting belief, write it down, read it to yourself look for evidence that reinforces your new belief and keep reminding yourself of the new belief.

Last year I needed to change the one that said "I'm too old to leave a secure job and start my own coaching company"; it ended up as "this is the perfect age to change and I bring years of coaching experience from my corporate history with me". The rest is history!

Don't try to solve them all at once, but start looking out for those limiting beliefs and have a great month,

No comments: